Our own personal happiness is often the last item on our list of To Do’s. It is taken for granted and not given enough of our time and attention. Take this 4 minute Happiness Survey to see if you need a little more happiness in your life.
Change and transformation is much easier said than done. It’s easy to change something about yourself for a short while, for a day or two but to change who you are or how you see yourself is a much harder proposition. Think about who you are today what changes you know deep down that you need to make to be a happy healthier person. In this blog about change and transformation you will be given a short list of tools that can help you start the journey to being the you that you have always wanted to be.
Here are ten action steps for continued, lasting change and transformational growth.
- Reflect. Look at your life, situation or circumstance today. Take time to see the lessons in your journey and then move on to greater heights.
- Accept yourself and love yourself. Live for today. Your life is happing right now, this is who and how you are. Decide that you love yourself no matter what.
- Take Ownership. Be honest with yourself and take responsibility for all that you are doing and not doing (good and bad), and the effects your actions have on others and yourself (good and bad).
- Identify Areas of Opportunity. What are you doing that is not serving your greater good? What steps could you take today to change that?
- Make a Decision. Make the decision to do the work and to make the change(s) you’ve listed. Draw up a contract or agreement so you can hold yourself accountable for reaching your goals.
- Learn, Copy, Keep, and Repeat. Learn about the change that you want to make. Copy the behaviors of people that you admire, keep the behaviors that feel good to your soul, and discard any that don’t. Repeat the change until it becomes second nature
- Create a Plan to Meet Your Goals. Measure your outcomes to stay on track. Goals are not written in stone. Review them daily and make adjustments as you go. Reward yourself for achieving milestones that bring you closer to your goal. Don’t wait for the finish line to celebrate your achievements.
- Do it, Achieve It, and Be It. Take daily actionable steps toward your goals. Recognize behaviors that support you, make a note, and discontinue any actions that are counterproductive.
- Forgive Yourself. Change does not happen overnight. It takes at least twenty-one days to change a habit, so be patient and kind to yourself during your transformation. Forgive yourself when you have setbacks and move forward. Show yourself magnificent self-love every day and reward yourself for even the smallest of accomplishments.
- Reflect Again. Make note of where you started and how far you have come. Do this every few hours, every few days, or every month… whatever supports your journey.
Qutoe of the day
Without reflection, we go blindly on our way, creating more unintended consequences and failing to achieve anything useful.
My hope is that you found another reason to love yourself and others. If you would like more you can purchase my book for a special discounted price at https://karaadams.com/gem18. Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, as an added bonus I have included a link to my FREE happiness survey https://karaadams.com/happiness-survey/.
Please leave your questions and thoughts in the comments section below.
When you work hard you should reward yourself. The Polish & Shine phase can be found in my book Hidden Treasure and it is the last step of my 5 Steps to Transformational Self-Love journey. It is how you practice the art of magnificent self-love. It’s the actions you take daily to remind yourself that you are a treasure meant to be loved and cherished. This is the phase that you recognize the events that have happened to you in the past and see them as GEMs. That have made you into who you are today Glorious, Empowered and Magnificent. This is where you shine and become radiant. You learn to love the person you are and stop worrying about who others think you should be.
Example from My Life:
I had to learn to love myself in my cancer recovery and recognize that it was okay to be taken care of. I gave myself permission to be “selfish,” and in doing that I gave myself permission to heal, to be quiet, and to be loved. I made a commitment to get my hair done and polish my nails once a week. I decided that I didn’t have to go to every event that my son or husband were involved in. I gave myself permission to be “missed,” and it gave my family the space to appreciate me more when I was there. When I took time to honor myself it filled me with an abundance of love that I could share with others. It allowed me to be more available to my family because I had taken the time to tend to my own needs. Self-love showed me that my life was worth saving and it gave me a hunger to share my lessons with other women—with you—so they won’t have to experience the same extraordinary challenges to learn what I had.
I listened to His whispers and decided to no longer live in the shadows not allowing my brilliance to come through. It’s my life’s mission to speak love, joy, and possibility into the lives of women all over the world. I realized that this is what all of the lessons were for. They were all for…you.
Your Turn… Go Deep:
- Think back on the things you have done for yourself that have made you feel loved.
- List the things that cost you the least money and made you feel the best.
- Circle the ones that you can do daily, draw a square around the ones that you can do monthly, and put a star by the ones that you must do before you die.
- Imagine how you would feel if you started with the one you starred first. Now, write that feeling down.
- Review your list and give yourself permission the complete at least one item today and make a plan on how you will add to it every week.
We all have healing to do after the cutting. Take time to yourself, mediate and heal your soul. Our tendency is to go back to what was comfortable and into who our family always knew us to be. But dare to be the truest version of yourself, show off the person who you have been hiding this entire time and show your family how to love and appreciate the GEM that has always been within.
To love yourself right now, just as you are, is to give yourself heaven. Don’t wait until you die. If you wait, you die now. If you love, you live now.
~ Alan Cohen